Guidelines and Procedures
The Hilles Fund prioritizes grants to programs that serve those with the greatest needs in Philadelphia and the Northeast Kingdom, Vermont comprising Essex, Orleans and Caledonia counties. Priority is given to organizations with operating budgets under $2 million.
Grants from the Hilles Fund support both proven approaches and also new approaches and can include direct services as well as systems change activities. We seek to support organizations for whom our modest grants of between $4,000 and $10,000 will have an impact.
The Hilles Fund makes grants to organizations that provide low-income children, youth and women with pathways to economic independence and self-sufficiency. Program areas supported by the Hilles Fund are education, youth development and community development. Examples of strategies we fund include those that:
- Facilitate children’s development and provide high quality learning opportunities.
- Prepare youth, pre-k through high school, for academic success and/or employment.
- Remove barriers to self-sufficiency and achievement for women and girls.
- Help neighborhoods and/or communities organize, plan, and work together to improve their quality of life.
- Support educational and outreach activities of the Religious Society of Friends
Application deadlines are March 15, and September 15. If March 15 or September 15 falls on a weekend or holiday, applications may be submitted the next business day. No more than one request from an organization will be considered within a twelve-month period.
To be complete, your application must include the following information about your organization and the activities for which you are applying for support
Description of your organization
2. Organizational background and history (if a first time applicant)
3. Services provided
Description of the project for which you are seeking funding
(If your request is for operating support, please substitute “organization” for the word “project” in your description.)
4. What are your organization’s goals and objectives for the year and how will this grant help you implement these goals?
5. Geographic area served by the project.
6. How does your organization include the people it serves in its decision-making process?
7. How does your organization’s leadership reflect its constituency?
8. What is the need for the project? Who will benefit from it, including number of people served? How will the project help those served? What do you expect to be its impact?
9. Describe how the project will operate. Include hours, days and months of operation, full- and part-time staff and their qualifications. If volunteers are used, describe how they are recruited and trained.
10. Who will be in charge of the project? What are their qualifications?
11. How will you measure the impact of this project?
• 1 copy of the 501 (c)(3) IRS “determination letter” demonstrating your tax-exempt status
• Demographic Survey — Download DEI Report Worksheet (Microsoft Excel)
• Leadership, including officers, directors and Board members
• Organization budget, including anticipated sources of income
• Your most recent annual financial statement (audited if available)
• Program budget, if applicable
Grant recipients must provide a brief narrative and financial report on how the grant was spent within one year of the receipt of the grant or at the time of the next application.
Grant report requirements will be posted to your online application account that you created at the time of your application. Go to the Returning Applicants or Grantee section below.
CONTINUOUS SUPPORT/WAIT POLICY
Agencies that have received continuous funding for 4 years are occasionally asked to refrain from requesting support for one year.
The “New Application Login” link below will be activated 6 – 8 weeks prior to the start of the March and September grant cycles and deactivated at the end of each cycle deadline. Details of what is asked in the application can be found in the APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS and ATTACHMENTS paragraphs above.
Click here to begin a NEW application for the CURRENT grant cycle.
Click here to continue a SAVED (in progress) application or to view your previous online application submissions or REPORT REQUIREMENTS.
Before you submit your application:
• Review the application and attachments for accuracy.
• Confirm required attachments are uploaded.
• Print the application for your records using the Printer Friendly link.
• Click on the “Submit” button when completed.